Monday, 26 September 2011

What Makes A Good Relationship?

The other day one of closest male gay friends officially announced he was now in a committed relationship. I was very happy for him obviously because he's my friend but also the guy he's now in a relationship with has become a good friend of mine for a long while, so the two them of them together makes me very happy.

Relationships can be a funny thing though, the way some people regard it and act in the beginning makes me wonder. I know everyone is different but it has got me thinking what makes a good relationship? Lately friends and people I know have gotten into relationships by being with each other none stop for about seven months before having 'that' conversation. I don't know about you but being two peas in a pod isn't ideal for me, I have this thing about balance. I don't think relationships are about being with your other half all the time. Personally a healthy relationship should be where you get to do your own thing, your partner does her own thing, you guys spend time together in the day/night, you ring her when you've got a break from work, she texts when she gets a chance whilst working, you spend time with your friends, she spends time with her friends, you guys hang out together with mutual friends...etc etc.

Clearly I must be doing something wrong because out of my friends I'm still the one who is single, those who do the opposite end up in happy long term relationships. Is it luck? Or am I not in the right place at the right time?

2 comments:

  1. You make some good points, relationships should be like that but I haven't seen or experienced that within the gay community. You sound too level headed so maybe that is causing you to be single, maybe far to mature for some lesbians out there? Good luck I'm sure you'll find someone soon. KM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knows maybe it is haha. Thanks for the feedback and luck :)

    ReplyDelete